Friday, January 29, 2010

Ronald Regan, Michael Deaver and Harry Potter

I've already gotten going on my 2010 reading list, and I have just finished A Different Drummer: My Thirty Years with Ronald Reagan by Michael Deaver. I was alive during all eight years of Reagan's presidency, but wasn't paying much attention to politics at the time. All I remember is that some of my family members were pleased as punch to have him as president. Others were not. I have to say that until I read the book, I wasn't sure who Michael Deaver was. Now I do.

The book wasn't any great work by any means, and I'm not sure I can even call it interesting. I'd classify it as a memoir, because instead of telling the whole picture, Deaver chose very carefully what to put in and what to leave out. When I finished the book, I couldn't even be sure that Deaver had resigned because of a scandal. Deaver was pretty vague about that, so I Googled it and came across his obituary from 2007 in the Washington Post. You can read it here.

I guess when you're the author you get to choose what you write. Anyway, it's checked off my list and I'm now on to more fun reading.

Speaking of the 2010 reading list and fun reading, my group is very excited about the upcoming opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. Here's an update of the park's progress. We're hoping we'll be making a visit together one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment