Monday, April 12, 2010

Carson McCullers and Dixie Carter

I recently read Carson McCullers' The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and got completely sucked into the book, falling in love with all the quirky characters. This novel is a great example of a Southern Gothic novel, which is a genre that I love. I think what attracts me most to this kind of story is that all the characters are kooky and eccentric. I think every Southerner can conjure up a memory of at least one person from in their past who is like a character in most every Southern Gothic novel. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter was certainly that way for me, though I won't reveal any more than that.

Earlier this week Dixie Carter, one of the Southern women who starred in the sitcom "Designing Women," passed away at age 70. I know I use this blog to talk about books and occasional movies, but in this case, I just can't help but see a parallel between characters in The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and "Designing Women's" Julia Sugarbaker. If you don't believe me, just watch this clip from an episode. Well said, Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment