Monday, May 16, 2011

The Book Versus the Movie

Have you ever liked a movie more than the book that preceded it? That almost never happens to me, except for recently with Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen. I listened to the audiobook about three years ago, and recently saw the movie. I thought the movie was very well done. I didn't think of Twilight each time Robert Pattinson was on screen. I like Reese Witherspoon in the role of Marlena, and I thought her husband, August (played by Christopher Waltz), made my skin crawl in just the right way.The elephant in the movie was just beautiful.

I remember when I finished listening to the audiobook that I felt like I had somehow missed something big, because otherwise, I would have liked the book a lot more. Then, as the movie release approached and I heard that more and more people had read and liked the book I figured I'd better go see it. I'm glad I did. I liked the movie so much that I'm on the waiting list at the library to borrow the book to read this time instead of listen to.

Have you seen this movie or read this book? What did you think? Are there any books you've read where you liked the movie version better?

P.S. I bought May's issue of Vogue because Reese Witherspoon is on the cover. I really enjoyed the story. She seems like such a nice person. Self-assured. Normal. Unlike other celebrities out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment