Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Hunger Games

I'm in a new book club that I'm very excited about. This week we had our first meeting to talk over Suzanne Collins' first book in her trilogy, The Hunger Games. The book's target audience is young adult readers, and since I knew it was going to be nothing like Harry Potter, I hesitated a bit through the first few pages. However, before I realized it, I was hooked, turning pages as fast as I could. It's nothing like the things I'm usually reading, but it brought up all kinds of things in my head comparing the satirical world of Panem to the modern-day U.S. and all the things that we think of as "normal."

I knew nothing about this book or series before I began reading, and now I know I'll have to check out Collins' second book of the trilogy, Catching Fire, before the third book, Mockingjay, comes out in 74 days (it's what the website says).

I'm thinking this book club is going to be right up my alley. First, they suck me in with a book like The Hunger Games. Then they declare the next book to be Wuthering Heights. Sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment