Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sidney Lanier


After I left Milledgeville the other day, I headed to Macon, Georgia, to check out the Sidney Lanier Cottage, birthplace of the Civil War-era poet (I've previously written about Lanier here and here). I was toured around by Sidney Lanier scholar and historic interpreter Marty Willett. You can see him and a shortened version of the house tour in this video.

I learned all sorts of things like the importance Lanier's wife played in exposing his poems to the masses, Lanier's musical life, and all the places that honor Lanier, many of which are practically in my backyard, including a monument in Atlanta's Piedmont Park; a statue in Duke Chapel in Durham, NC; a library and literary society in Tryon, NC; a literary society at East Carolina University; and a place in the Georgia Writers Hall of Fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment