Saturday, March 19, 2011

Making Connections

The other night while watching Jane Eyre, the thought occurred to me that young Jane Eyre, while in boarding school, reminds me very much of another heroine I've just read about. Last week I finished reading Lee Smith's On Agate Hill, a book that begins on a worn-down plantation home in North Carolina during Reconstruction, and is the diary of a spunky young girl named Molly. Molly, like Jane is an orphan and is sent to a boarding school to be educated and get out from under foot. While in school each girl makes one very good friend, and each friend comes down with an illness and passes. Particularly sad, I think, for these two girls who have already lost so much in life. The good new is, however, both heroines find love, happiness and purpose later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment