Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Widow of the South

I've gotten really interested in the Civil War since this year marks the 150th anniversary of its beginning. I've done some reading on it, and recently read a book one of my husband's relatives sent me about a battle that took place near where she lives. The book is The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. It's a historical fiction novel about a woman whose plantation home was commandeered to be a hospital for Confederate soldiers wounded in the Battle of Franklin in Middle Tennessee. It was a fascinating story, and I enjoyed it even more knowing there is truth behind it. I'm now hoping I can sometime make a visit to Carnton Plantation in Franklin, TN, to see the home and the massive cemetery on the grounds there. To find out more, visit the website for the plantation and/or the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment