Thursday, February 25, 2010

Louis Armstrong

I've just finished reading one of the books on my 2010 book list, Pops: A Life of Louis Armstrong by Terry Teachout. Fascinating read! I couldn't help but think the whole time I was reading what a great movie could be made about the life of Louis Armstrong. The scenes that could be set in early 20th-century New Orleans, the jazz clubs of New York City and Chicago in the 1920s and 30s would really be amazing. Who would play Louis Armstrong in the film? I have no idea who could measure up to the task.

There is a lot about Armstrong I did not know (almost everything in the book was new information for me). My knowledge of him to this point has been through hearing the most popular songs of his career, seeing Good Morning, Vietnam (One of my all-time favorite movies. I find the scene where his music appears to be very moving.), hearing my grandmother sing "Hello, Dolly!" and seeing my husband and his mother dance to "What a Wonderful World" at our wedding reception. Now I know what an interesting, conflicted, complicated, wonderful character he was.

I did a search on YouTube for some clips of Armstrong performing. Some good ones are here, here and here. Enjoy! And, go read Pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment