Sunday, March 11, 2012

Reread: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I've just finished rereading Madeleine L'Engle's Newbery Award-winning book, A Wrinkle in Time, which turns 50 this year. I was probably 10 or 11 the only other time I've read it. I was surprised at how much seemed so familiar, even though it's been over 20 years since I read this classic. Besides enjoying this story again, I also really enjoyed the essay at the end written by science writer Lisa Sonne in 2005. In the essay, Sonne points out all the things that L'Engle imagined and included in her book that weren't yet discovered when the book was originally published in 1962. Much of what she conjured up has now been discovered by scientists to exist in our solar system and beyond. It was great to have that spelled out for readers at the end of the book in the version I read.

USA Today quantified the success of A Wrinkle in Time. And a good, entertaining summary of the novel can be found as part of the 90-Second Newbery Award Film Festival. Also, I like Kate Milford's post on McNally Jackson Kids' blog. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment