Thursday, May 26, 2011

London/World War II Reading

One of the books I read over last weekend was one I brought back with me from London, The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison. It's a fictional story centered around a little girl, Anna, who moves from London to Yorkshire during World War II to escape the bombing. Her mother remains behind in London working, while her father is a British soldier in Africa. Though she misses her parents terribly, Anna has a wonderful experience in a home-turned-school for London schoolchildren and becomes particularly close to her teachers.

From reading the back of the book I was hooked (see similar blog post on Kisses on a Postcard, and note that my recent read, The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literary Society, contained the same situation of children separating from families during World War II). However, about a third of the way through, the book began exploring deep and complicated adult issues and moved away from Anna for a bit.

Overall, I just couldn't put this book down. As sad as it was (and perhaps it wasn't the best choice for a weekend spent celebrating my wedding anniversary with my husband due to all the broken marriages in the book), I enjoyed it thoroughly. Another good book from across the pond!

No comments:

Post a Comment