Thursday, March 28, 2013

Call the Midwife is coming back

The only PBS show I love almost as much as I love Downton Abbey is Call the Midwife. Last fall when season one aired, it was the thing that kept reminding me that it was OK to wait a little longer for Downton Abbey, and to enjoy it in the meantime. I loved the good-hearted characters, the fact that the series takes place in London (one of my favorite places) and the good stories each week.

The show is based on memoirs by Jennifer Worth, known in the show as Jenny, a nurse and the central character. I bought the first of the three memoirs, Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times during the time the first season ran, and enjoyed reading it very much. Two more memoirs follow (Call the Midwife: Shadows of the Workhouse and Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End), which I hope to read sometime soon.

The first book contains anecdotes that viewers from the first television season will recognize, so I'm interested to see what the second and third books and the second TV season have in store. Eight new episodes are coming on Sunday nights starting this weekend - March 31 at 8 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment