Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

This morning I finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Sethe Graham-Smith. I have to say I was a little unsure before I started about how I'd feel about Pride and Prejudice, a novel I love, being updated by another author. Graham-Smith did a great job. It is certainly an interesting way to merge a classic novel with modern pop culture. I wonder how many people will become familiar with Austen for the first time because they like to read zombie novels?

Here are some of my favorite lines, and some of them even got a laugh-out-loud response:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." (p. 13)

"[The unmentionable] rushed at Elizabeth, her clawed fingers swaying clumsily about. Elizabeth lifted her skirt, disregarding modesty, and delivered a swift kick to the creature's head, which exploded in a cloud of brittle skin and bone." (p. 38)

Mr. Darcy's description of an accomplished woman: "A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages; she must be well trained in the fighting styles of the Kyoto masters and the modern tactics and weaponry of Europe." (p. 45)

"No ninjas! How was that possible? Five daughters brought up at home without any ninjas! I never heard of such a thing. Your mother must have been quite a slave to your safety." (p. 144-5)

If you can't tell by these quotes, this is a fun book. If like zombies or Austen or both, it's worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment