Thursday, August 26, 2010

Celebrating 50 Years of Greatness: To Kill a Mockingbird

I know I keep talking about my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird. Fifty years of greatness, and I'm celebrating all year. I think this will be my last post on the topic (at least for now), so if you're ready to be reading about something else, hang tight.

Two of my favorite southern magazines, Southern Living and Garden & Gun, have had articles about the novel this summer. You can read the full articles here and here.

I've also recently finished reading Mary McDonagh Murphy's Scout, Atticus and Boo: A Celebration of Fifty Years of To Kill a Mockingbird. It gives good context on the book and movie, with information about the time, political and social climate of the early 1960s. Then, the majority of the book is filled with short essays by notable people about how the book and/or movie affected them. Some of the essayists include Oprah Winfrey, Tom Brokaw, Rosanne Cash, Mark Childress, Diane McWhorter, James Patterson, Andrew Young, Richard Russo, Lee Smith and others. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment