Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens

One of the books I listened to on my iPod before traveling to London was Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens by J. M. Barrie. Like Alice in Wonderland and Mary Poppins, other books written by English writers but adapted by Disney, the Disney movies are what I think of when I think about the characters in these books. Barrie wrote several Peter Pan books, and I hope to listen to more of them on my iPod when I can.

In Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, we meet Peter Pan, a baby with the ability to fly. Overnight one evening, he flies out of the window to nearby Kensington Gardens and becomes stuck there, unable to return to his London home. At this point he begins to encounter many of the creatures and characters inhabiting the park, many of who come alive at night after all the humans have gone home. Once Peter gets there, he realizes his mother probably misses him, and Peter enlists the help of the fairies to help him fly home. Once he gets there, he realizes his mother has had another baby and he is heartbroken, returning to live at Kensington Gardens.

This book was a fun, short read. The day my fellow traveler and I visited Kensington Palace, I thought about Peter Pan flying about once we'd all gone home for the day. In the park, there is a statue honoring Peter Pan, and this photo was taken by my best friend Teresa on a trip to London with her family several years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment