Saturday, November 20, 2010

Celebrating the First Year

Today marks exactly one year since I left a job that wasn't working out so well to put all my energy into making freelance writing and editing my full-time endeavor. I was a little hesitant, as a year ago didn't seem like the best time to start a business, but it looked better than my alternative, which was going into an office everyday and working in a decidedly uncreative position where I just wasn't a good fit.

It's been an amazing year. I've gotten the opportunity to do things I never thought I'd do. My creative mind has been stretched and tested in wonderful ways. In just this year alone, I've teamed up with  companies that provide interesting products and services to write their marketing collateral, written for the nonprofit sector, edited a blog, provided social media services for a restaurant, written publicity pieces for a Vietnam War documentary, edited nonfiction manuscripts and academic journals, began coaching a first-time novel writer, written websites for a variety of companies spanning multiple sectors, and offered public relations writing consultation, among other things. My work has been all over the place and it's been wonderful.  

I've enjoyed my work, but also the freedom that comes with self-employment. I've been able to devote more time to this blog, read more and more deliberately, and travel to some great places (Wrightsville Beach, Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Nashville, Hendersonville, Oxford and Tupelo, Chicago, London and Bath, and plenty of trips back to my hometown, Raleigh). Never once did I have to submit a vacation request.

For all those people who have encouraged me this year, asked me how things are going, told someone you know about my business, sent some business or a referral my way, followed me on Twitter (@betsyrhame), not minded when I cancelled hanging out with you to work just a little bit longer, helped me with my website (www.rhamecomm.com - Thank you, Lori!), invited me to a networking event, or any number of other helpful things, I appreciate you.

I'm very excited to see how things turn out. Here's to year two!

2 comments:

  1. The second year will be just as fabulous and rewarding as the first year....Salut to year two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your year mark! way to go! can't wait to see how year two treats you.

    ReplyDelete